71

Entrance & Museum shop

Arising from a new vision for the museum, the need was felt to redefine its lay-out and routing. By moving the main entrance to its original location in the centre of the monumental building, space was created for a fully functional entrance and a museum shop. Due to World War II, but also because of changes in its use, and restructuring, the neo-rococo Grade 1 listed building has, over time, lost many of its distinctive embellishments. These can now only be found on old photographs and copies of the building plan. For the decoration of the displays and the glass divider, sections of the 1880 building plans have been blown up to amorphous, ghostly shapes.The same principle has been applied to the reception of the staff entrance.
72
73
75
78
76
80

Museum café

Design for the lay-out and interior of the museum café. By moving the main entrance to its original location in the centre of the building, new space was created for the café in the extension, designed by Henket. A flexible space which could be divided into different areas, was called for. This enables the independent reception of visitor groups, outside of museum's opening hours. Furthermore, increased space for the kitchen and lavatories was necessary. The structure of the extension, which was to remain intact and visible, and the eye-catching view from it, were decisive for the interior. The choice of materials reflects the temporary nature of the structure. A compact, central volume has been placed in it, housing the kitchen, lavatories and a cloak room. The outside of the volume exhibits temporary selections of works of art, selected because of their appeal to the street outside. As with the glass divider in the shop, use has been made of blow-ups from copies of the original building plans. In this case they can be found in the table tops, carved out and filled in with epoxy resin.
81
82
83
85
86
87
88